Ricotta is made fresh, so this is ideal to make at home. It takes less than 5 minutes and needs only 2 ingredients. The best part of making your own, other than bragging rights of course, is that you can flavour it any way you like...imagine it? Citrus, herbs, spices, you are only limited by your imagination. You will also need a fine sieve lined with either cheesecloth, muslin or even a coffee filter over a bowl.
Here's what you'll need
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups milk (full fat please)
- 1 tbsp salt
- dump the milk and buttermilk into a pot
- heat gently, stirring, on low heat until the whole thing starts to seperate
- stir in the salt, and any flavourings at this point (I added a tbsp lemon zest)
- pour into the waiting cloth lined seive
- not let it sit for an hour or so until it's completely drained and crumbly
- that's it...you have just made cheese!!
- use it in raviolis, in desserts, on pizza or pasta, stuffed in sandwiches...