CAPRESE SALAD WITH CRISPY PROSCUITTO
I'm not one to say that spending top dollar for something that is readily available anywhere with no obvious superiority of quality, but if you find good quality heirloom tomatoes, buy them! Don't cook with them! You need to eat them as is, with the most simple of ingredients. Good quality needs good quality...if not at least once in a while.
Here's what you'll need:
- 6 plump, ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 6 slices proscuitto
- 1 package (or ball) of buffalo mozzarella
- balsamic drizzle (shop-bought)
- salt & pepper to taste
- slice the tomatoes (about half an inch thick)
- same again with the buffalo mozzarella
- toss the proscuitto slices in a preheated 350° oven until crisp (about 3 minutes or so)
- alternate tomato and cheese and tomato and cheesa again
- drizzle balsamic glaze and top with crumbled proscuitto
- serve up with some toasted, crusty bread
- dig in!