HOMEMADE CHINESE FIVE SPICE
Chinese Five Spice is an aromatic spice mixture, using equal parts of each spice, so easy to make. The smell of it cooking along with onions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce will drive the whole house wild! I would suggest investing in a spice grinder or a cheap coffee grinder, but you could go old school and bash them in a pestle and mortar. Why go shop bought when you can make your own!
Here's what you'll need
- toast the first 3 ingredients in a dry frying pan over medium high heat until just starting to smoke...but keep them moving in the pan to avoid scorching
- blitz them in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar
- tip into a small bowl, add the cinnamon and cloves, give a good stir
- tip into a tight sealing container
- tada...now you can use it any time you like on meats, vegetables, rice or noodles!