There is a difference between caramelized onions and fried onions. Caramelized onions need time and attention. They need to be full of flavour and be really inviting visually. Almost no one can resist them. For Hank, I'll throw them in the middle of a burger pattya and he loves it!
Here's what you'll need
- 5 large onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary (double up if using fresh)
- 1 tsp dried thyme (double up if using fresh
- ¼ cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat onions in butter and olive...don't be shy, if you need more, go ahead!
- season really well with salt and generous amount of pepper
- sautee them over medium-low heat until they're soft and starting to colour
- add red wine and simmer on low until all the liquid is gone
- add rosemary and thyme and another nub of butter