I had never eaten plantains before today, much less cook them. They don't taste of banana at all and are really tasty. They're almost like potatoes in texture, but slightly sweet and you treat them much the same way as you would potatoes. Give them a go!
Here's what you'll need
- 2 whole plantains
- 2 olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- cut the plantains into thick slices
- carefully peel them with your hands (but you might have to use a knife)
- fry the slices in olive oil
- let them cool enough to touch, then peel
- when they're browned on both sides, transfer them to a paper towel and crush them carefully with the back of a wooden spoon
- fry them again until golden and crisp (1 or 2 minutes per side) and when you flip them, be sure to season when they're still "wet"