HOMEMADE ONION RINGS
When you smell cooking onion rings deep frying, you are instantly transported to your youth spent at the carnival! I love the smell so much that I enjoy just turning on the deep fryer after I've made them just to smell it again! These are easy to make and just as good as any frozen ring you can buy.
Here's what you'll need
- 3 large onions (get them as big as you can for nice big rings)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup AP flour (+ 2 tbsp flour)
- ½ cup beer
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 small handful fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- slice and seperate onion rings, toss into a bowl with the 2 tbsp flour to coat
- in another bowl, whisk up the rest of the ingredients
- take a few onion rings and toss into the batter, turning them to make sure they all get coated
- then, one by one, drop them into a 350° deep fryer making sure you don't overcrowd them or they won't get crispy
- let them cook 5 minutes or so or until crisp and golden brown, scoop them out onto a paper towel and season with salt right away
- now keep going with the rest of the rings and keep the cooked rings in a warm oven until you're ready to eat!
That's it! It's that simple!