BASIC SPONGE RECIPE
There is always a call for a simple sponge recipe in your arsenal. Add any flavourings you like, even herbs, chocolate chips, nuts, lemon, fruit, use food colouring to jazz it up, ice it, fill it...really, the possibilities are endless!
Here's what you'll need
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 225g butter (room temperature)
- 225g white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- preheat a 350° oven
- in a bowl, whisk (an electric whisk is really helpful, so maybe invest in one...or better yet, a stand mixer!) together the eggs, butter and sugar
- sift in the flour whisking all the while until combined and smooth
- pour into a greased baking tray
- toss the whole thing into the oven for 20 minutes or so(or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into the centre
- let it cool 10 minutes or so in the pan, then turn onto a wire rack to finish cooling
- now you're ready to ice it up!